Saturday, March 14, 2009

Greek Missionaries Head for Sri Lanka!

Jesus told us… GO, and make disciples of all nations... baptize and teach all that I have commanded you. Invite them into this way of life. I will be with you as you do this, day after day after day...until the end of the age. Matthew 28:19-20


Last weekend I had the opportunity to go to the airport and "see off" a Greek missionary couple on their way to Sri Lanka. It was such a blessing to chat with Ritza and Michalis and to reminisce about the special send off my church family gave me right before I came to Greece, just a short time ago. Ritza and I encouraged one another with a hug and the simple gift of mutual understanding for what this "packing up, leaving home, and saying good-bye" stuff feels like.

This was an extra special moment for all of those gathered at the Athens airport, because it is not exactly common or popular for Greeks to leave for a long-term mission service assignment. Praise the Lord for the supportive parents and church family of Ritza and Michalis! In fact, my fellow HM staff explained to me that the last family who did this was our founder, Costas Macris, and his wife Alky. Alky was among those of us gathered to send off Ritza and Michalis with prayers and blessings, and needless to say it was an emotional time.

Johnathan, Costas and Alky's son and the current president of HM, shared a vision of hoping to wear out the path to the airport in order to send off more and more Greek missionaries to serve God all over the world.

This couple had actually met and been encouraged towards missions during their participation in a summer sports camp out at HM's waterfront property, Porto Astro. I pray God will continue to use this blessed location to disciple and mentor the Greek young people towards mission!


Meggan DeJong

No comments:

Post a Comment